A while back I bought a CBG from a builder and the next thing I knew was the neck had a major bow. I tried to contact him to get it replaced but it seems getting an answer has been long over due so I figure I might as well fix it myself. I was able to buy a jointer because I would like to build some cabinets and figured now was as good a time as any to find a good used one.  When I checked the neck on the jointer table I found out it not only had a bow but also a twist. For grins I figured I would test the new machine. It worked like a jewel. The neck is now completely straight.  I figured since I was going through this much work I might as well make it to a scale I like to also remedy other issues with the unit. 

I want to change the scale length and would like some advice as to what would you guys use to fill the empty slots on the fret board? Would you use a thin veneer, epoxy, wood filler or something else?  Thanks for any advice.  I figure I might as well experiment on this unit because it was nothing but a good wall hanger as one of the members was telling me with all the issues.

Views: 315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

JMO, but it would be easier to build a completely new neck. 

If I remember correctly the bridge on this guitar is almost at the very end of the box.  If that's true then you won't be able to increase the scale length of the neck in question and still use it with the same box.  Furthermore there is almost no way for you to fill in those fret slots and have them 'disappear'.   Even if you filled them perfectly and then painted the entire fretboard they would still show up due to not having grain. Another issue is that at some point one fret position of the new scale length is liable to be close to where one of the old fret slots were; you might not be able to cut that slot and have enough wood one one side of the slot due to the pre-existing slot.  

No, I am making the scale shorter and it appears I can move the bridge to about 1/3 the distance from the rear of the box which I thought would be best. I am changing it from a 25.5" scale to a 23" scale. What is the JMO you referred to? I am not familiar with that abbreviation. Thank you.

JMO - Just My Opinion

Figured it would be a good practice run.

Hi, removing material off the neck would have weekend it some, so consider a new fretboard that is thicker [hardwood] to get some stability back into the neck.

I find when practicing its good to practice the "best practice" method. Like learning to play guitar, if you practice things wrong, you just get good at doing it wrong. Ha ha.

Or as already mentioned practice on a new neck, shorter scale guitars normally have a shorter neck,  then it will not be a wall hanging.

Taff

Thanks Taffy. I will check it out.

My suggestion would be to remove a little more material from the neck and make a thick 1/4" thick fretboard and glue it on.  If any slots remain they will be small and only show on the side.

Thanks for the advice Kigar. If I ever need to  that is a good idea. Presently with the amount taken off the fret board is still very close to .25" thick.

Hi Frank, If I understand you correctly now, you did not remove material from the neck ,but from the fingerboard?. If so my earlier suggestion would have confused the issue as I assumed you had removed the fingerboard and levelled the neck. Sorry about that.

Taff

No problem Taff I appreciate your input. I pulled all the frets and removed a small amount off the finger board due to a bow in the neck and also a slight twist. All straight and strong now. Ordered some supplies to rebuild this one as well as a few tools. Should be interesting and a joy to play since I am setting up correctly and also decided to shorten the neck since changing it to a three string after finding out the neck was not as wide as I was told to play comfortably as a four string. It is basically going to be a complete rebuild with changes on the box also as far as blocks, neck angle and braces.  I will have to  post a photo when I am finished. Thanks,

Your welcome, enjoy the learning curve.

Taff

If you fill it with something that's guaranteed  to take stain you could color the fret board too. 

What I've done to fill small gaps in wood is to fill the gap with glue wile I'm sanding. Let the wood fill itself. This is only good if your going to paint. Most wood glue will not take to staining. Good wile find sanding. However keep an eye on the paper. Make sure the glue isn't clogging it. This could create scrapes in your woodwork. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Thorsvik posted a video

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

Cigar Box Guitar Slingers - Spokane, 195th Zoom Mtg 03/25/24. Only 1-finger chords, free songbooks here: https://www.cbgslinger.com/download CBG SOF Songbook...
37 minutes ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
17 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
17 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
18 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
18 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
18 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
20 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
21 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
23 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
yesterday
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
yesterday
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->