A while back I bought a CBG from a builder and the next thing I knew was the neck had a major bow. I tried to contact him to get it replaced but it seems getting an answer has been long over due so I figure I might as well fix it myself. I was able to buy a jointer because I would like to build some cabinets and figured now was as good a time as any to find a good used one. When I checked the neck on the jointer table I found out it not only had a bow but also a twist. For grins I figured I would test the new machine. It worked like a jewel. The neck is now completely straight. I figured since I was going through this much work I might as well make it to a scale I like to also remedy other issues with the unit.
I want to change the scale length and would like some advice as to what would you guys use to fill the empty slots on the fret board? Would you use a thin veneer, epoxy, wood filler or something else? Thanks for any advice. I figure I might as well experiment on this unit because it was nothing but a good wall hanger as one of the members was telling me with all the issues.
Thanks for the info. I will keep all of your advice in mind. Presently the fill looks pretty good being very similar to the neck I will see how it goes when staining. Thanks.
That is a good idea to use glue with the wood filings. I used to use super glue with filings on native american flutes and it worked fine. Since the neck is red oak I used a golden oak plastic wood filler and then stained it with Minwax Golden Oak stain and it came out pretty good. I am going to use a couple of coats of satin polyurethane on the neck only. I will use almond oil for lubricating the fret board.