Replies

• Forgot to mention stainless steel flat wounds, sometimes called "chromes", they're even warmer & louder than the traditional nickel, they also last longer & cost a bit more? But well worth the extra cash? A lot of the modern metal players are using them in the larger gauges for down tuned & doom style, the flat surface takes out all the string noise that comes along with playing fast? They also come in all gauges these days, Ernie ball has some new stuff out, but D'addario, Bella & Thomastik are the best in tone & feel?

• Half rounds are ground on the top & are bright like regular round wounds, but have reduced string noise? Mostly used to get rid of screechy string noise while recording? On the other hand, flat wounds are ground all the way around, have a warmer sound & have no string noise? Beginners have erroneously pigeon holed flat wounds as Jazz strings, but everybody from the Beatles to Metallica have used them? I am actually a dedicated flat wound player, I like my strings to sound big & bassy, so it works out for me, but it might not be your cup of tea? Give 'em both a try, see what you think? 

This reply was deleted.