Hello, I'm making my first cigar box guitar, actually a wine box guitar 

a few pictures :

As you can see the end of my neck is beveled, but not in the common way

Can I do the holes for the strings following this bevel ? I've never seen that on a cigar box

thank you ;)

And sorry for my english I'm french

Views: 858

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen this on builds before.

They seem to have worked out just fine.

I did it myself once.

Also, there are many French people on this site!

Certainly. It shoud look great.

Ok thank you !

Yes I found this site on a french site

I also love american blues and cigar box guitars, that's why I try to do mine !

If you have any suggestions about my work I'm open ;)

Are you putting a fingerboard on that neck? because otherwise it loos like the face of the neck sits below the top of the box. that might be a problem to consider. Otherwise looks like a great start.

—B

Ludo,

"Can I do the holes for the strings..."

Mais oui; bien sur! Sorry for my French ;-). Yes, I've seen examples of this type of neck end with staggered string holes here on CBN; you'll have to search awhile to find a pic, but they exist. It is one form of tonal compensation; you'll want to keep checking your bridge location when you intonate, unless this is going to be an unfretted slide build, because your string lengths, and thus your string end nodes, will also be different lengths at the head stock end. It looks like a nice long, deep box; should have good tone.

Welcome to the Addiction! The wine makes it easier to deal with ;-).

Yes Brendan I have a pine fingerboard

ahah and thank you Oily, I've found a picture

Are you sure it's different for the intonation ? because it doesn't change the vibrant lenght of the string if I put the bridge right

But yes it will be unfretted

I hope for the tone, the wood is a bit heavy but we will see, and I'll maybe put a pick up.

Thank you for all, it's a very nice forum !

Actually it should work. The thinnest string will have the flattest break angle at the bridge, the thickest "bass" string will break at much sharper angle. This should equalize the pressure on the soundboard (tension on the highest/thinnest string is AFAIR bigger than on the lowest/bass string). Not sure if the difference will matter, anyway.

Ok

I'm working hard, I'll show you pictures soon

Ludo,

No, it won't change the intonation, as the scale length is nut to bridge. But it will slightly affect the compensation, and as our brave sailor has said, it will also affect the break angle of individual strings, which will affect the pressure on the top, and thus your tone. It's all subtle trade-offs, that will only start to matter, maybe, depending on how many builds you do, and how crazy deep into this you wanna get. Most builders just build, with amazingly good results. The rest is just Cigar Box Geekspeak. ;-)

So I do this one with my feeling ;)

And the next will be better

My guitar is almost finish, but I don't know how many space put between the strings ?

Well, I'd put 3 spaces between 4 strings, or 2 spaces between 3... ;-)

I personally find the ukulele string spacing quite comfortable. Something like 9-11mm at the nut and 11-13 at the bridge. But my fingerboard is 4cm wide. Your mileage may vary...

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->