ok how wide of a neck is average for 4 strings ? how long of a neck is too long ? any other pointer would be helpful . thanks guys .

Views: 1315

Replies to This Discussion

Gonna taper the neck?

yes . im using bought bridge and nut so i want everything to fit perfect . its for a friend that really deserves something cool . 

want it to be a scale length John Paul Jones would be happy with . 

Mine is 34". No truss rod but used 7 layer vertical laminate and it's holding up really well...no warp or bend at all. I'm hoping I can just drop the neck into my new box, do a bit of decorating and Bob's yer auntie...won't work out like that though I'm sure.

lol tried that once . that neck ended up in the fire . 

Big project PB. My straight-thru is 1 3/4 wide all the way up. Wanted to use a 'real' bridge but it was significantly wider...mebbe a full inch or more. I was looking at bass gits and some of them are really wide at the body. I have no way of machining all that material so stuck with a straight neck...which I regret as I think the strings are too close together further up the scale.....gotta rebuild her anyway as the cookie tin just causes too much interference so I have a monster size box and will go semi acoustic.....nobody told me about mandatory rebuilds when I signed up..... 8-)

lol yeah big time. i think what i may do is place nut and bridge where i want them and use bailing wire and string up 1st and 4th then trace the line . then use my spoke shave and carve up to it . i dont use power tools at all so its a bit more of a challenge but well worth it in the end . 

I recently made this for a friend. Short scale. Three piece neck. It was my first CGBass build. Overall I am pretty pleased with the results. Please feel free to ask any questions.  Chaplain Will  

that looks really comfortable to play . could you give me some specs ? like scale lenght , how wide it is and what you used for the nut ?

Hello - Thanks for the compliment. It is pretty comfortable to play. The box I used was 8 3/16th inches wide by 8 inches high. The scale length is 30.5 inches.  I used that scale so it would match what my customer was already used to. For the neck I laminated three pieces together - maple / oak / maple. I like the look that gave, and I think it made it stronger also. the neck is 2 inches wide.  I did not use a truss rod - time will tell if that was OK or not! I made both the nut and the saddle out of some maple I got from an old miter box. The black "wing" looking piece you see is attached through the box into a brace on the inside. there is a slight heel on the neck, and it also tied into that brace. Makes for a pretty strong connection  The sound-hole is a sink strainer. I installed a small "humbucker" looking pick-up. It actually is a single coil.  I also lined the entire box with aluminum foil to reduce the unwanted "hum".  That got "tied" into the ground wires. I installed a separate volume and tone, and used a .047 mf capacitor. I ordered very large fret wire from Stew-Mac.  I also planned in so that I could use "medium length" bass strings - factoring in the distance from where they would be attached to where they would cross the nut. The guitar sounds good plugged in, but is a bit "weak" on the pure acoustic side. That hasn't been the case with my other CBG builds, so I'm not quite sure why that happened this time.   Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

All the best!

Chaplain Will      

answered everything i need to know . thank you so much . 

You're most welcome. Looking forward to hearing more about your upcoming build. 

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Discussion Forum

Cigar box a little different

Started by Phil Farabough. Last reply by Phil Farabough Nov 10, 2018. 10 Replies

first bass build

Started by Patrick. Last reply by BrianQ. Nov 8, 2018. 6 Replies

looking for alternate tunings-

Started by Daniel Walter. Last reply by Ken Hutchinson Oct 14, 2017. 16 Replies

Bass build help

Started by Ro'Nique Staley Mar 22, 2017. 0 Replies

My first bass build

Started by Bryan Putnam. Last reply by Richard Haas Dec 2, 2016. 15 Replies

Building my first bass

Started by Henry S. Last reply by TN Twang Nov 30, 2016. 11 Replies

fingerboard question(s)

Started by Euraquilo. Last reply by Fomhorach Nov 1, 2016. 6 Replies

3 string bass questions

Started by Euraquilo. Last reply by Euraquilo Oct 31, 2016. 18 Replies

3 String Cigar Box Bass Guitar Parts

Started by Will T. Last reply by Murdoc_420 Jul 16, 2016. 3 Replies

Bass strings??

Started by jeffrey ross. Last reply by jeffrey ross Mar 25, 2016. 13 Replies

Magnetic vs Piezo pickup

Started by PhilUSAFRet. Last reply by Murdoc_420 Mar 25, 2016. 8 Replies

Weed eater strings and tuning.

Started by Poppy. Last reply by Murdoc_420 Feb 29, 2016. 7 Replies

Bass Uke string question(s)

Started by Lane Martin. Last reply by Where's Uranus? Jan 7, 2016. 6 Replies

Looking for 2 string bass plans

Started by Mike. Last reply by Mike Jan 6, 2016. 8 Replies

UBass strings

Started by Bobby Fields. Last reply by Bobby Fields Dec 11, 2015. 3 Replies

First bass build got a few questions .

Started by Piht Bull (Delta Dawg Guitars). Last reply by Scott aka Farmer Ted Apr 23, 2015. 23 Replies

bass frets...

Started by john mackay. Last reply by john mackay Feb 4, 2015. 4 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->