I usually build a post or two to screw the lid down, if it doesn't already have a latch. I've thought of putting a couple of strong magnets into posts on the inside that would face each other to magnetically hold it closed, but haven't tried it yet. I'm guessing there might be some problems with that design due to buzzing from the vibration. Might try that my next build.Also, congrats on the build!
Huh! Good idea. I guess you glue a post on the inside of the box and make the height of the post just right to use velcro attached to top of post and the inside top of the box........
i wouldnt recomend velcro. it would deaden the top and not let it vibrate. probably ok on a electric only build.
on another note, have a look at pictures of other acoustic CBG's bridge placement and gret for ideas to " inspire you" , pinch that is...lol
Either gluing it down or screwing it down is the best, a loose lid will bring unwanted buzz?
I followed the Gitty Basic Plan (Glenn Watts) and that's the way it's setup on bridge placement based on 31" of neck material length. Realize it's not ideal and the bridge should be moved more towards the center of box a little. Just didn't want to deviate from plan on the first one.
Thanks on the velcro. I think you're correct, probably would dampen vibration of the top. Will look for another way. The reason the neck falls open just a tad when playing is that I made a "test" neck first using pine and cut the cigar box notches based on that and it fit perfectly. Made a new neck with Poplar and the width of the board was a slight bit under 1.5" so I ended up with some "play" between the neck and the box. Was thinking I could probably come up with some type of "shim" that you can't see to tighten the connection and that would solve the problem.
Timothy those are pretty sporty looking. Would look great on a box!
On latching down the top. I had some maple veneer that I thinned down and used
as shims for the small gap between the neck and the box. Stained them to match the stain I used on the neck and placed a drop of thin CA Glue to anchor them in place.
Worked great! Box is now tightly closed up.