Curious about other builders building sequence. ie., when to install frets.

I always suspect that most builders put the frets in after the fretboard is glued to the neck.  I make the fretboard, cut the fret slots, and hammer in the frets on the bench.  I generally put the fretboard in temporarily with double backed tape just to make sure everything is good.  Then I string it up and play it a bit .  After that I will cut the sound hole, glue the fretboard and string it up again.  When I clamp the fretboard for glue, I consider this operation the final fret seating process.  I have plenty of clamp pressure across all the frets.  Also, I have a special board that I put on top, which is a little narrower than the fretboard so that I can see the alignment of the fb on the neck.  I won't even check for high frets until the fb is glued in.  If I were to hammer the frets in after the fb is glued, I would have to make a jig to support the neck.

Comments?

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree.  We all have our methods and reasons for using different sequences.  It may be due to the tools we have or don't have, our experience level, the different type of instruments we are building, etc.  I am continually looking for and experimenting with different methods of building to ultimately make the build faster and better.

That's true with me, Gary. My methods are based entirely on getting it done with what I have available.

I broke down and bought a fret blade for my table saw, and use a shooting board with a template.  I make 10-20 fretboards at once... I rip the widths, then cut to length, setup and fret...  It saves me a ton of time, and I'm buying 1/4" thick exotic hardwoods from a wood supplier that specializes in hardwood floors...  $60 gets me a good 30 fretboards and scraps to make banjo style bridges...

Then I have a template for marking fret markers.. I drill a bunch of fretboards at a time for inlay...  

I'll glue the inlay dots in, sand them flush on a fine grit beltsander,  Then they get glued to the neck, sanded flush.  I apply 2-3 coats of wipe on poly, then fret....  I finish the frets on the belt sander, then cleanup the edges with a file.  A wipe down with poly on the edges, and the neck is ready to glue to the box, or add a tailpiece, etc.

Hey John,  I've seen pictures of  the table saw method, that seems like the best way to get the best results. Do you have less filing high frets and whatnot since you started using the tablesaw?

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods 15 hours ago. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

"Great Sliding ! But to be honest i dont hear that much a differens,  beleave the Glass is a…"
2 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks AGP;# ! much appriciated !"
2 hours ago
Crazed Fandango added a discussion to the group Introduce Yourself!
Thumbnail

Better late than never...

After joining this forum in 2014, I finally have my 1st CBG which my wife bought for me at the…See More
5 hours ago
Bernie Edwards liked J. D. Woods's photo
5 hours ago
Crazed Fandango joined Cigar Box Nation's group
Thumbnail

Introduce Yourself!

We wanna know who you are! Where ya from? What'cha buildin'? This is a place for new members to…See More
5 hours ago
Crazed Fandango liked Nomad Jack's discussion Busking Songs...
5 hours ago
Fantacone Box Works commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
7 hours ago
Fantacone Box Works commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"Very nice"
7 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

Wooden Guitar Slides from Scotland 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Demo!!!!

In this video I compare the three different wooden slides made by David Bell and Phil Young up against my Dunlop glass slide! I gotta say these wooden slides...
7 hours ago
Fantacone Box Works posted a status
"Thanks Brian. We'll that's mighty exclusive."
8 hours ago
Ghostbuttons commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_2850

"Four recent projects. All 23 inch GDG. From left (bottom): 1.  20 years ago I worked for the…"
8 hours ago
Ghostbuttons posted a photo
8 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->