I want to make a bowed string with a scale length of 14." I see where others have used steel wire (not that I could find any at Home Depot). From my estimations, I believe to tune that to a D like on guitar's fourth string, the gauge should be somewhere between .060 and .068. Does that sound reasonable to you pros in here? Thx.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So are you talking about a one string fiddle? That’s weird, Home Depot in my area carries steel wire? have you tried Ace Hardware, they carry steel wire? 

They had something called tie wire in the masonry section and was way too thick. All the other steel wire was braided and also too thick.
Oh and it's a 2 string bowed Rawanahatha.

It depends how much tension you want. I calculate that a plain steel 0.064 (the middle of your range) would be 40lbs of tension when tuned to D3. That seems pretty high to me.

If you look at 4/4 sized violins (13" scale length) they usually have string tensions of 12 to 18lbs. If you wanted to go for a tension in the middle that range... use a plain steel 0.040 for 15lbs of tension when tuned to D3 on a 14" scale.

Ok, .040 for D3 at 14".

A violin string is always the best choice, but this what I used? Actually piano wire, so better than construction wire? I’m in Cali, so it may not be available in your area? https://www.homedepot.com/p/OOK-9-ft-50-lbs-Smooth-High-Carbon-Stee...

I clicked that link to order and then they won't ship it, they want curbside pickup so I agree. After the Paypal transaction it turns out they think I'm going to drive from Las Vegas to California to pick it up. Now how to cancel. Hmmm....
It arrived but looks too thick. Haven't tried it yet though.

I think that’s a Toombi not a Rawanatha?

I'm not making his Toombi. I'm making a Rawanahatha hopefully using his plastic with adhesive (if anyone can recognize what it is).

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Discussion: Toothpick Frets?

Started by Habanera Hal in Feature Articles. Last reply by BrianQ. 6 hours ago. 25 Replies

Fret calculations

Started by Graham Wedepohl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by BrianQ. 15 hours ago. 5 Replies

Upright Ubass

Started by Titch the Clown in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Greg Potts Jun 20. 1 Reply

New here

Started by Clarence johnson in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Road Rash Roy Jun 18. 13 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on RTZGUITARS's video
Thumbnail

Fuk Trigger Finger

"blowing of a full grown man ,going 80 miles in a flinch of the eye, just bey being ready ! that…"
32 seconds ago
Rope Walker Country Star posted a video

Corsicana Girl (Dance Remix 21) - RopeWalker Country Star

DANCE REMIX 21 (feat. B.B.Q’ll)Rope Walker remixes the original smash hit! Featuring: B.B. Q’ll, and additional bass guitar by Gary Pickin’ Poe. “Walker upda...
1 hour ago
AGP # liked RON NORTHCUTT's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # liked RON NORTHCUTT's photo
2 hours ago
AGP # liked BUGGY (C)'s video
3 hours ago
BUGGY (C) posted a video

Dark

Three string CBG
3 hours ago
Rope Walker Country Star liked Lefty Clientele's video
4 hours ago
BrianQ. replied to Habanera Hal's discussion Discussion: Toothpick Frets?
"Actually foam files have been used by luthiers & techs for the last 10 or 15 years or more,…"
6 hours ago
Uncle John commented on RON NORTHCUTT's photo
Thumbnail

door guitar 2

"Super nice, Ron."
6 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Dave Lynas's photo
7 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
7 hours ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->