Friends, Luthiers, various madmen, show me your builds.

I've been looking on here, can't find a collection thread anywhere, so I'm starting one.

Show me just how many you all have built over the years.

Show me your Diddley's, your Chuggers, CBG's, Canjos, Banjos, Licence Plates, amps, everything.

Here is Mine, I got Diddley Bows, Diddley Basses, Chuggers, 3, 4 and 5 Stringers, baritones and one that sounds like a banjo and all made from various tins:

Views: 922

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey all. Im very new to building instruments, I've been messing around in my living room on the weekends for the last few months making toys. Forst thing i made was a walking stick with a diddley bow stuck onto it. Next was this dulcimer for which i disassembled some tea boxes as a soundboard. Since then ive mostly been testing out materials and trying to learn more, so ive developed a pile of semi-functional  bizzarities.

thems is some weird builds and I love them. I see you go for the neck on the box and can method instead of inside. I haven't tried on the box with canjos yet do you find it affects the sound of them opposed to inside the box builds?

Sorry to be so late to reply. Given time to experiment I have found that 'on the soundboard' builds are much more achievable with the limited tools I have, but 'in the soundboard' designs have provided me more volume. Also 'on the soundboard' produces a brighter tone whereas 'in' produces a warmer tone. Cheers!

These are the ones I have kept. Everything else has been either given away or sold. Oliva was my very first; Lonman, the only license plate guitar I have done; the Edge Uke for my wife; the nine string paying homage to the great Big Joe Williams; the Chess Paul, paying homage to my 2 favorites, chess record artists and the Les Paul; Uncle Buddy, the KE box came from a good friend who gave me her cigar box that belonged to her uncle. There are 2 dates from Dec. 1958 on the inside: the '64 Regal I got for $40 and I really enjoyed the parlor size and feel of, I just sanded off and glued the few cracks on the soundboard, kept original hardware but needed to build a new bridge. A favorite of mine, tuned to open D; Blue Boy, built for my son back in 2012. He wanted one, but never was interested enough to play it.

I like them, I like them a lot, especially the 6 string chess board, reminds me of Bo Diddley. And I like the license plate guitar, nothing quite like having your name on your guitar.

Thanks JP.  They were all fun, too bad I don't play as much as I would like.

Its been a while guys, but keep them coming, I got more builds coming in the spring.

I forgot about this, my first canjo. I got it out tonight and played on it for a bit. 

Now that is a proper Canjo, made with a can. Very nice

thanks. My first of 7 canjo's that I have made. They're fun to build and play. 

Your title is misleading, I dug out my pocket lint collection to photograph and share, but noooo it's about cigar box guitars! LOL  Now I know what happens to cookie tins. Nice collection.

Hi Hooch, yes I thought JP had done that too. I held back on these collections.

Violins, Violin bridges, cello bass bridges, Bone off cuts from nuts and saddles, Violin pegs and bows and.......hang on maybe this should be in the "Show us your Hording" thread.

Then theres the CD collection and the vynal collection and........

Whats that saying? Be Careful What You Wish/Ask For

Taff

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->