We invent new tricks to make building easier and better.  Often we hear about them from others or read about them here on Cigar Box Nation, or Youtube videos.

Here are a couple:  I read both here on Cigar Box Nation posts

1.  When doing a difficult glue joint, like a fretboard or scarf joint, put a tiny tiny pinch of table salt on the glue after spreading it.  It does a great job of letting the pieces grip each other without slipping while applying clamps.

2.  When installing those tiny screws on the back of the tuning machines, rub the screw threads over a bar of soap or parafin wax to make them easier to drive and lessen the probability of stripping the screw head.

Another one I learned from experience.  Gluing pieces together seems like a simple process.  But it can become complex.  On a difficult glue joint, I finally learned to do a dry clamp before the actual gluing operation.  That way, you have all the clamps out and ready to go.  You know exactly how to place the clamps so that they will do their job properly and not interfere with each other.  Also have the clamp pads set up so you will not mar the wood.

Views: 2658

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right side tuners! Ain't that the truth. I did the same thing on my second build. Had to order a set of 3 right and 3 left to fix that mistake. Came out ok in the end though.

Always cut long pieces first. On high dollar wood , I draw a cut sheet. You can use jig saw to rough out and net cut on radial arm and table saw. I am not saying cut every piece with a jig saw. I am saying rather than make one cross cut use jig saw to start,then rip and then finish cross cut . This is a real material saver on sheet goods. Making a cut sheet, in my opinion is one of the best to avoid waste.Sometime you are only throwing away sawdust and toothpicks.:-D

Quick change string scheme.

This is the tailpiece I use on my guitars.  You just need to loosen the tuners  5 or 6 turns to get one or more strings out of the way for work on the fretboard, etc.  You never have to take the strings completely off the tuner except in case of changing strings.

Titebond Hide glue.  I use this for fretboard to neck joints or any other joint that I feel may have to be taken apart at some time.  It loosens with water.  Don't play your guitar in the rain.

Question on finishes.

I started out using Linseed oil.  It protects the wood, but does not give a great finish look.  Even after 4 or 5 coats.  Then I switched to Tung oil.  Still protects and gives a better finish look.  Still takes 6 to 10 coats.  I'm thinking about Tru Oil, but haven't tried it yet.  Does anyone have an opinion about Tru Oil vs Tung Oil.  I would be interested in hearing.  Or any other oil finish. 

I just tried Tru Oil for the first time on my latest build (#32, have a look at my page). It gives a very attractive finish and is very easy to apply. Give it a try!

Thanks, Richey.  How many coats?  That is one concern.  I would like to cut down on the finish time.  The Tung oil says wait 24 hours before recoating.  I follow that for the first 2 coats and after that I only wait a few hours between coats.  Seems to work ok.

I did 6 coats on the body. 12 hours between each, very lightly sanding with 600 grit before reapplying. I wiped it on, let it sit about a minute then gently wiped off the excess. After a week I gave it a rub down with some old denim and it feels lovely and smooth.

Looks great.  Thanks for the reply.  I'll get to the hardware store soon.

What page, I put in your name in search and didn't get much? What did I do wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDiN9TCZkHk             

Comparison of 5 different oil finishes, including Tru Oil, Tung Oil, Danish Oil, Linseed oil, and one other.  Tru Oil seems to win. 

Gary thanks for that link. I have been busy with other things and just now had a chance to watch that vid. I am kind of hard headed and have a tendency not to fix what ain't broke, but was impressed with the comparison. The guy was a little hard to understand, but I am hard of hearing. The guy did a good side by side comparison and the long term on plexiglass was great. I have been stuck in my way with Min-Wax poly. It flashes off fast and you can apply multiple coats in one afternoon. I will do about 5 and let it dry for 24 hrs, soft sand and do 5 more. Soft sand and then 2 for finish. I will rotate it to keep from sag until it flashes.It has to core for at least days before fretting. I learned the hard way not to fret before that. I have a terry cloth saddle I made to beat the frets in with a 2 lb. dead blow hammer. It left terry impressions on back of neck. Good news it buffs out with a car polisher and jewelers rouge, which also gets the fret tangs smooth as silk.

I am going to stick with poly on the boxes as it will protect the labels not bad on yellowing over time and can be beat on after 30 days, but I am sold on doing a bunch of necks with Tru-Oil. Has anybody done a side by side or have any particular opinion about a brand. HD, K-M and Wally World are local, the rest are 50 miles (round trip) so Cabot is kind of off the list.Also if anybody would like to post their tried and Tru-Oil finish procedure, I would love to hear it. (;-D)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
36 minutes ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
1 hour ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked A.D.EKER's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
5 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Ricky D's photo
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->