I am trying to finish up a rebuild on this CBG I bought that had too many issues and was wondering if anyone has a schematic or dimensions for a basic bridge I could build that would work on this Brick House Box I am using?  I purchased a pair of the C.B. Gitty laser cut bridges (flying K style 4 Padauk but they are too long for this box.  I need something shorter than a  4" bridge. I think a 2.25" bridge would work fine since it is only for a 3 string unit anyway. Not really sure if the flying K style 4  is needed or if a plain K style 3 would work just as fine. My only problem would be how to cut the angle at the top so the strings sit on a sharp peak. Fishing for some ideas, Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks,

Views: 615

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The hinge bridge that Webster Miller made is a great idea and the wood/fret bridges are awesome.

I mostly use a bolt because of the built in string guides and I will glue 2 little strips of wood(one on either side) to keep it in place once I get the position sorted. Bigger bolts for higher string height. I even made a rollor bridge by placing the right size bolt in some nuts and glued the nuts to the top of the box allowing the bolt to move in the nuts with the strings while using a tremolo.

It never ceases to amaze me what people on this site make when they put their minds to it.

I agree there are infinite versions of how to accomplish some of this stuff. I followed Webster's suggestion on the bridge and that worked out great. I will attach a photo. I also used the fret on a piece of wood that I had seen on a Dell Pucket video and it turned out very nicely. I do not think the strings will be moving around but if I have an issue I can always put some small notches in the fret like a lot of guitars have in a bone bridge.  I made a lot of changes because this one was basically a wall hanger when I received it. Everything from the tailpiece to the head stock. It was a worth while project and I have really enjoyed learning all about CBGs. Now I do not have to order one hoping it will come in as more than a wall hanger. I can build my own which is great.  I will post a few photos to show you the before and after photos of the bridge and tailpiece.  I am looking forward to building the 4 string which I am sure  will be very enjoyable.

Attachments:

Fixing a neck warp can be the hardest thing to fix and a lot of slide guitars were originally regular gits with a warped neck that couldn't be fixed. LOL

Snip off the ball ends from your 3 extra strings , and  slip them on a  finishing nail .  to make a sweet roller bridge  ;-)

Now that is something I did not think about. That is a pretty good idea.

Or snip them off of old used strings before throwing them away.

"throwing them away"  ?????? 

That's a waste of fine jewelry-

Those look nice - I won't judge. LOL

Actually i sold   these and a few others  to members here ,  even Jamie McBlues  got  an re-anniversary/ engagement set  for him and his wife before he passed away . 

They weren't for me ... honnest .. lol,  ...

.WELL... actually,  i did keep the turner  gear one for myself .lol.

I like the tuner gear ring due to the mechanical look, also will work for either sex. All of them look good and you can be proud of those IMO.

some of the  stuff online can get pretty elaborate ,, but i'm like a retired doctor when it come to this kinda work ... no patients . ;-)

Not really  " simple .........  but  where else can i brag  ;-)

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you Poorness ! for loving it ! appreciated!"
12 hours ago
Southern Ray replied to Timothy Hunter's discussion just came accross this pickup idea on youtube.
" Very interesting. Thank you Timothy!"
12 hours ago
Kent Thurston updated their profile
13 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Punch Project!

She now sports gold metal CBGitty knobs, speaker and an Artec 2.5 watt speaker. Finished this in…
13 hours ago
Southern Ray posted a photo

Project Punch!

Gonna finally get back on this long-delayed project that is more than half complete. (The matching…
13 hours ago
Poorness Studios liked A.D.EKER's video
15 hours ago
BrianQ. left a comment for Rob (Uker) Porras
"Hope this helps?"
15 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"I appreciate the kind words Papa D! I have always loved the look of these cigar boxes. Glad to have…"
18 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
21 hours ago
A.D.EKER posted a video

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

The recorded History By Alan Lomax for the library of Congres of the Blues, from Mc Kinley Morganfield (Aka Muddy Waters) the in this take recorded Tribute ...
22 hours ago
Papa D commented on Doug Thorsvik's photo
Thumbnail

Dueling Flatheads

"Beautiful..Nice work Doug.."
yesterday
Papa D commented on Papa D's photo
Thumbnail

american1 Sun Glo

"Thanx AGP & Doug..  4 more coming soon"
yesterday

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->