I see a lot of people with angled saddles. How do you get the intonation right when the strings are not the same length? you will NEVER get it tuned right if your octave and your ping are not exact!!!!!!

Views: 1191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To get the intonation bang-on right, some string gauges NEED to be different lengths. When you fret the strings, you are pulling them out of a straight line and therefore the tension in the string increases, and this needs to be compensated for by making the string length a little longer for it to remain in tune..hence "compensated" bridges. The  point of the string where you strike a harmonic is exactly halfway along the string - it's fundamental physics, BUT, as soon as you fret the guitar, you are introducing another variable, that of bending the string out of a straight line and minutely increasing the tension on it..but just enough to pull it a tiny bit sharp.

How much compensation is needed is determined by the scale length, string gauge and the tension in the string - the difference in the way plain and wound strings react can be seen on a lot of 6 string  guitar bridges where the saddle position or break point over the saddle is markedly different between the plain and wound strings. Some guitar makers traditionally don't worry too much about the issue - classical Spanish guitars and resonator guitars have straight-across bridge saddles (though you can tweak a reso by turning the biscuit or spider at an angle) .

The whole issue of string compensation is a compromise, (as indeed are modern tuning and fretting conventions) but it's the best compromise people have figured out. If you are playing slide only, then it's not really an issue .  By the way, I did see on one of those photos of that shortbread tin guitar, the saddle was angled the wrong way, and by a huge amount.

If you really want to get into this, look up "equal temperament" and  "just intonation" you'll find out the whole issue of conventional musical intervals and tuning is perhaps more complicated than you may imagine.

My guitars all have excellent intonation with the bridge at 12th fret times 2. tuning is easy---six string EADGBE, three string 151, four string 1351 or 1513 in any key you want. or you can tune the fours to dgbe for six string players and use small chords and leads

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Latest Activity

Dave Lynas liked Elmar Zeilhofer's video
30 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Elmar Zeilhofer's video
Thumbnail

The Hit Man - Episode 2: "Six-String-Sniper - The First Mission"

"Big Grin Elmar. I treasure my Elmar pups !"
34 minutes ago
Dave Lynas liked Elmar Zeilhofer's video
35 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Abalone Eyes

"Thanks T-Gripped, thanks Unc. I don’t remember (remember?) that song Unc. I’ll look it…"
43 minutes ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's photo
Thumbnail

Abalone Eyes

"I have them Rev."
46 minutes ago
Dave Lynas posted videos
49 minutes ago
Michael shrader added a discussion to the group Building a Cigar Box Guitar 101
Thumbnail

Snake oil pick up install question

GuysI’m building my first electric and installing a snake oil pickup. I’m not sure how it mounts in…See More
53 minutes ago
the anonymous pick commented on the anonymous pick's video
Thumbnail

Swamp witch guitar high desert

"tried to post a pic of it . but picture loader is wonky again."
1 hour ago
Ma Bue joined Shane Speal shanespeal.com's group
Thumbnail

Introduce Yourself!

We wanna know who you are! Where ya from? What'cha buildin'? This is a place for new members to…See More
1 hour ago
James Pobog posted a discussion

Gilmour's harmonics

...specifically the first note of the 2nd solo comfortably numb. Im just learning about 'pinch'…See More
2 hours ago
James Pobog updated their profile
2 hours ago
Fergus Lester replied to Fergus Lester's discussion CB gitty 2.5w amp distortion
"Any idea of the max power supply voltage of the Psycho Knob? Thinking if building one into a DIY…"
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2020   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->