Not that we drink a lot in our house, but I have a growing collection of wine bottles with neck size just perfect for slides. I've goggled cutting techniques for these and the most common approach is to use a glass cutter to etch a line around the neck, then dip the neck into boiling water to raise the glass temperature, then plunge it into a bucket of ice water. The sudden contraction causes the neck to break along the etched line.

Well, it works, sort of. I've had several bottles break off cleanly while other times, the fracture line runs up the neck instead of around.

The one thing that is pretty consistent is that the hot/cold method does eventually result in the neck breaking off. Unfortunately, the fracture line is often jagged and rough.

So, does anyone have a sure fire recipe for getting a clean break on a wine bottle so I can add to my slide collection?

Thanks

T

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have used a cutoff wheel on a bench grinder and then just tap the neck gently on my 1/4" steel bench top and it eventually snaps off - I think you will always get an uneven break - I just grind that down, rubbing on concrete etc. As long as it's smooth enough not to cut - the jaggedness adds character !!

Thanks for the idea. I considered an abrasive cut off wheel, but wondered about the glass-dust flying around. I also considered a powered tile cutter. It has a pump to stray water on the cutting area and keep the dust under control. Just don't know how I would hold the bottle while cutting.

well  i  gotta admit ,,  this   is where  i  failed ,,  ive tried the class  cutter and      flame  and cold water   trick.  tried the hack saw   thing  etc  ..

and   im  still  the  "make 10  ,  break   7"  guy  .  

my only  hope  was to  call  them         "barfighter  slides  "   and sell  en  like  that  .   ;-)

pretending i  left  them  jagged and  just  sanded  down on purpose  .    ;-)

but  i  hear the dremmel diamond wheel  is  the way to  go . 

I've tried the hot and cold method none worked.

so I didn't bother any more.

Have nothing new to add but have cut a few and always had the best luck with a dremel type tool and a diamond  wheel seems to work the best , but still can get a bit ragged cut. I just use a grinder to clean it up of any jagged edges and that is about as good as it gets for me... had no luck with the heat cold thing at all..

I think probably you will find that bottles differ one to the next. certain will cut well others won't.. just the nature of the beast I think...

I'm leaning toward grabbing my tile cutter. It hasn't had any work in over a year. Maybe crank it up. fill the tray with water and give it a go. I have plenty of spare bottles.........

tile saw

I found this...

Wine Bottle Cutting 30 seconds Perfect Edge Bottle Cutter

http://youtu.be/sFXngPx3w3M

This guy looks like he knows what he's talking about. At least his video shows him actually making a cut/break.

The gadget for scoring bottles is sold at Hobby Lobby for $25 USD, but I bought a $4.99 hand-held glass cutter instead. I plan to lay the bottle on a miter box, brace it, and roll it around--much like the Plan B he mentions in the video. I can steal the wife's Brown Betty tea pot for boiling water. I'm gonna' give it a try.

I'll post the results if my fingers are still attached...

TN

I tracked it down on Amazon must to check ratings. A lot of them (over 800). A lot of 5-stars, but nearly 100 one stars. Overall, it looked like about half the ratings were 3-stars or less. That being said, It might be a worthwhile tool. At $16.00 it isn't overly expensive and if purchased from Amazon they will take it back for a year if you don't like it.

May give one a try.

I had luck with my 1st go at it using the flame method.

The hardest part (and probably most crucial) was making a nice straight etch with the glass cutter.
It would certainly help to have an extra person hold the glass cutter, whilst the other person rotated the bottle.

The remaining process was pretty easy.
Flame the weak point till very hot, plunge into cold water, then gently tap on a soft surface (ie.tea towel).

5-10 minutes of sanding, and it's done !

I clamp 2 2x4 pieces of wood at a right angle on a table to hold the bottle while I turn it, with another pice of wood under the neck so it does not dip and turn the bottle while scoring only once around with a standard glass cutter.  I put a piece of blue painter tape around to follow to keep my line absolutely straight.  Once scored I pour boiling water slowly on the score while turning the bottle and then put it into a can of ice water.  Then I repeat this 2 or three times until the end falls off.  After breaking the very end off then I score farther down the neck for the second break.  I finish these off by grinding (by hand) on wet dry sand paper on a board. I start with 60 and then 220 and 400 and 600.  The breaks are generally good, but the bottle glass usually has a concave dip all the way around.  But patient grinding will get rid of all flaws.  Good activity while watching TV or conversing with friends.  I also use a balsamic vinegar bottle (Colavita, the short bottle with the long neck) as they have the straightest necks of any bottles I've found.  At least for the 1.5" I need for my CBGs.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
2 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
2 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
4 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
6 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
7 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
8 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
8 hours ago
Keith Rearick liked Doug Thorsvik's video
12 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->