Hi, over in Paul Craig's What's on Your Workbench thread, Paul mentioned building guitars out of bamboo, so I thought I would show this one I built some years ago.

Its actually a cigar box made of bamboo. It was too thick to build as an acoustic so it has no soundhole, it is pure hollow-body electric. One side, that was a drawer that held the cigars, is replaced by an access panel for getting inside if need be. The pickup is Gibson Les Paul. Its set up for slide.

Taff 

Views: 224

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate the clean cuts and the tight fit of the parts.  The arm rest is a great practical addition.  Nice build.

Thanks Rick, I like to palm [mute] the bass strings and the "rest" makes it easier. This box is the "year of the monkey", I'll have to see if I can get some more with different years.

Taff

Hi, I just searched for this type of bamboo box and I found them. However there was a minimum purchase of 500 units........I don't think so. Ha ha.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Fretwoods

Started by Brent Kasl in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Jerry Jordan 6 hours ago. 2 Replies

s/s lm386 draw amp,

Started by GARAGE HERMIT in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by GARAGE HERMIT 15 hours ago. 9 Replies

Nut milling

Started by Lothar Ahnert in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans yesterday. 3 Replies

CONTEST CANCELLED: We Need Your Photos!

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Alex Fong Dec 5. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Doug Noren liked Taffy Evans's discussion The Journeys End. The Drought Breaker Resonator.
57 minutes ago
Tom T replied to Taffy Evans's discussion Resonator guitar build....the Journey
"That's the kind of craftsmanship we can all aspire to. Wonderful work and equally wonderful…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

The Duke of Padouk

"Thanks Derek. Always fun to hear a new voice in the family. The new strings are mellowing out. The…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Dave Lynas's video
Thumbnail

Duke Tape

"Thanks Derek. He does play well with likes of the Savages. Seems like there’s a lot of…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on 3 String Guitars's video
Thumbnail

Double Trouble - Triple Threat - Fuzzy Whitener on Cigar Box Guitar

"Listened again John. I love this one. You are in bloom. That bass is killer. What’s it look…"
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas liked 3 String Guitars's video
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Cuttin Thru the Fog

"Wow Vinnie. Wonderful blend. Good on all tracks.  Space visuals add. Trance music. Entranced."
1 hour ago
Dave Lynas liked Downtown Vinnie's video
1 hour ago
Derek Rose commented on Downtown Vinnie's video
Thumbnail

Cuttin Thru the Fog

"Enjoyed the jam Vinster"
2 hours ago
Derek Rose liked Downtown Vinnie's video
2 hours ago
Derek Rose liked 3 String Guitars's video
2 hours ago
Derek Rose commented on Jason Mills's video
Thumbnail

Swamp Witch Elder

"Great chunk and wah call and response groove going Jason."
2 hours ago

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->