Hi Cigar Box Friends,
I'm in the process of planning an exhibition of Homemade Musical Instruments. Washtub bass, Washboard, Singing Saw and of course, Cigar Box Instruments.
I'm very interested to hear from anyone that is knowledgeable about the History of these instruments. I would also be incredibly appreciative of any photographs (in high resolution) or old film footage that you may have to share.
Further, if you just happen to live in or close to the Netherlands, are a builder and/or performer of such instruments and are interested in participating in this show i would be very happy to hear from you. Send me a message along with some images or video of your work.
Looking forward to your replies!
Thank you,
Shelley.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great! The show should take place in September, should you be in the lowlands.
I'm sure you'll be hearing from me as i organize the show and am stumped
with questions.
Thank you.
You should definitely talk to Shane Speal, King of the Cigar Box Guitar and founder of the National Cigar Box Guitar Museum.
Oh, he has a museum!? Wow!
I'm new here and am just figurin'
out who is who, and what they are up to.
Great, Thanks Doc!
Shane started the museum and knows a lot about the history. He has passed the museum collection on to Bill Jehle who curates it now. I don't know if Bill has the collection on display yet, but he knows a lot about the history too.

Shelley said:
Oh, he has a museum!? Wow!
I'm new here and am just figurin' out who is who, and what they are up to. Great, Thanks Doc!
Hi Ted, This is absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much. I'm a graphic designer (among other silly things) so the quality of the photographs are fine. I can do something wonderful with them. Thanks so much, this is wonderful. I'll keep you posted. Cheers, Shelley.
Ted Crocker said:
Hi Shelley,




Great thing you're doing. I have 3 Albums here of photos of many of the instruments in the National Cigar Box Guitar Museum - about 250 photos. You can take a look here:

Album 1,
Album 2,
Album 3.











Feel free to use whatever images you want. If you see an interesting photo, click the link View Full Size to find a higher resolution image. Some pics are underexposed because I shot these very quickly in bright sunlight. It's simple to adjust the exposure in photo editing software like PhotoShop, or you can let me know the images you want and I can do that for you.

This is from the National Cigar Box Guitar Museum that Shane Speal collected and he can tell you the story behind each instrument. The Museum is now in the hands of Bill Jehle who is working to find a proper, permanent display home.

Good Luck,

Ted
Hhey Shelly,
Great idea you have about the display.
Feel free to use pics on my home page if you like of the exhibit we built in the Mall where I work.
If you see any instruments that interest you , and dont know what they are feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to tell you what I learned while either building the exhibit for the tourists in our area.
I too am trying to keep the history alive and found that the public is fascinated by the CBG and Didely Bow history .
As an example ,today is Sat and I sit up a table in our mall usually Sat thru Mon.This after noon I sold 4 Didley Bowes the 1st 1 1/2 hours I was working the table.
Thru the night I sold 1 more Didley Bow and a 3 string CBG by the time I stopped selling due to running out of inventory .So the public seems interested but dont know where to find information or had never heard of a Didley Bow or CBG in the 1st place.
I now use a laptop set up with a slideshow of old CBG's and DB's while I explain the history of the instruments.
If I can be of any help at all , let me know.
There are a lot of folks here that can help you out.
Hi Roger,
Wow...fantastic. I had originally planned this show to coincide with an "Art Ukulele" show (12 artists rework 12 ukuleles, exhibited along with workshops and performances)
But, i'm thinking that the cigarbox & homemade instrument exhibit is going to be so grand that i'll have to seperate it from the other exhibit. I have several appointments next week to find out what the galleries think. So far there is a gallery in Rotterdam & one in Berlin that is interested. I'd like to place this show in several cities and then ask builders from the area to come perform or give workshops.I think it will be wonderful!
Anyway, thanks so much for your generosity. I will of course keep everyone posted of my progress and i'm sure you'll be hearing from me about those wonderful photo's and the instruments pictured in them.
Have a lovely sunday,
Shelley.

Roger Martin said:
Hhey Shelly,
Great idea you have about the display.
Feel free to use pics on my home page if you like of the exhibit we built in the Mall where I work.
If you see any instruments that interest you , and dont know what they are feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to tell you what I learned while either building the exhibit for the tourists in our area.
I too am trying to keep the history alive and found that the public is fascinated by the CBG and Didely Bow history .
As an example ,today is Sat and I sit up a table in our mall usually Sat thru Mon.This after noon I sold 4 Didley Bowes the 1st 1 1/2 hours I was working the table.
Thru the night I sold 1 more Didley Bow and a 3 string CBG by the time I stopped selling due to running out of inventory .So the public seems interested but dont know where to find information or had never heard of a Didley Bow or CBG in the 1st place.
I now use a laptop set up with a slideshow of old CBG's and DB's while I explain the history of the instruments.
If I can be of any help at all , let me know.
There are a lot of folks here that can help you out.
Hello Shelley,

Please visit my page here or my Youtube page: www.youtube.com/kenileeburgess. I play traditional bottleneck slide in open tunings on vintage resonators and homemade instruments. Please contact me if you have any questions. Enjoy, Keni Lee
Hi Shelley-

I make and play one-string diddley bows, made from a length of broom-wire stretched between two nails driven into a wooden plank and played by beating out a rhtyhm with a stick or pick with one hand and changing the pitch with a glass bottle slide with the other. I have some history and a fairly complete article on how to build these instruments on my website, www.onestringwillie.com

It would be easier for you to make one of these instruments (it takes about 10-15 minutes) than for me to ship one to the Netherlands.

I should mention that Jim Bunch (gutbucketeer) is an expert on building and playing washtub (and the more portable suitcase) basses. I think he is a member here.

If you have any questions or if you see any images you like, please contact me (I can send you higher resolution files).

Best regards, Willie
Hi One String Willie!
(I love that name)
Yes, diddly bo's, of course! I am definately going to make one for the show and I want to do a diddly bo workshop during the expo. Your website is a fantastic source for information. I will be visiting it frequently! I will of course aknowledge all of my sources that i use for the show.
Oh, and i'm very interested to see what Mr. Bunch (another great name) is up to. I play a mean washtub bass myself.
Hey, thanks for the note.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Bye!
Shelley

One String Willie said:
Hi Shelley-

I make and play one-string diddley bows, made from a length of broom-wire stretched between two nails driven into a wooden plank and played by beating out a rhtyhm with a stick or pick with one hand and changing the pitch with a glass bottle slide with the other. I have some history and a fairly complete article on how to build these instruments on my website, www.onestringwillie.com

It would be easier for you to make one of these instruments (it takes about 10-15 minutes) than for me to ship one to the Netherlands.

I should mention that Jim Bunch (gutbucketeer) is an expert on building and playing washtub (and the more portable suitcase) basses. I think he is a member here.

If you have any questions or if you see any images you like, please contact me (I can send you higher resolution files).

Best regards, Willie
Hi Shelly, Do you want any information on the Mountain Dulcimer? If so I can send you an artical written about me 35 years ago while I was serving in the army in Germany, actually I think it is on my page of the nation. Below is Jean Ritchie's email address She and George are friends of mine. she and george are now in there 80s. She is the person credited with educating the world on this fine Historic American instrument, greenhays@aol.com She and George traveled Europe giving concerts with the Dulcimer and telling the history of the instrument. Jean and George are very famous and she has written several books on the instrument. Jean has performed with Pete Seger and her family is well known in the folk world as the singing Ritchie Family. Tell her that I refered her to you. I am sure you will find her the most knowlegable person on earth on the subject of Dulcimers. You can find more information on JR at youtube.com. Larry McPheeters South Lake Tahoe Ca.
Hi Larry,
Very interesting. Thanks for the information.
I am however more interested in homemade instruments made from
common goods. Singing Saws, Washboards, Washtub Basses and Cigar Box Instruments.
But i'll definately check out the sites.
Thanks Larry!

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Forum

Licence plates

Started by Michael Myers in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Carl Floyd on Friday. 15 Replies

Completed Builds

Started by ThePracticalPeasant in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by ThePracticalPeasant Oct 20. 5 Replies

Chords

Started by Mitchell Cutsinger in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by Carl Floyd Sep 29. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Leonard Cohen Life

Posted by Keith Rearick on October 7, 2021 at 11:18am 0 Comments

CBGer’s Lament

Posted by Ghostbuttons on October 3, 2021 at 12:11am 0 Comments

Sasquatch!

Posted by Mark E. Martinsen on September 29, 2021 at 8:39pm 3 Comments

Prototyping with a big ol' wine box

Posted by Ben on September 23, 2021 at 4:00pm 0 Comments

Mr. Bells

Posted by Stephen Cohen on September 4, 2021 at 12:30pm 0 Comments

Latest Activity

AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #446 - ''Jolly Jumbuck''

""Thanks UJ", Yep!, slowly getting the hang of it, should have it down pat after another…"
21 minutes ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #446 - ''Jolly Jumbuck''

""Thanks UJ", Jumbuck BBQ's are one of the biggest sellers in the Land of Oz, and…"
23 minutes ago
Randy S. Bretz posted a photo

Crushed pearl star inlay

Last detail before final assembly
33 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Uncle John's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Chuck Hunsinger's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked the anonymous pick's photo
1 hour ago
Chuck Hunsinger commented on Chuck Hunsinger's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_20211026_192544

"Thanks Brian, I'll try that next time"
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked AGP #'s photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked AGP #'s photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked AGP #'s photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Lee Custom Shop's photo
1 hour ago
Keith Rearick liked Lee Custom Shop's photo
1 hour ago

Music

© 2021   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->