I want to make a few single string diddley bow pickups with sewing machine bobbins.Would it be ok to use aluminium bobbins?....

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Couldn't tell as I've never seen them unmounted.

Ah, the coupled induction pickup design, where a thick "ring" of conductor and a core coupled secondary 'step-up' winding formed the pickup, a little different from having the ring and windings coaxial.

here is one of the pics I made of that design:

Could be doable using the transformer from a wall wart, removing the thick coil by cutting it out and sliding another metal loop through it at that spot.

Here ya go Mickey, an old thread about induction pickups from another site:

http://handmademusicclubhouse.com/forum/topics/how-to-build-an-indu...

Thank you,Brian...All interesting stuff

That’s pretty much the article about induction pickups they were talking about, minus the big fight that happened? I have made a few of these & they work, just have to be creative in mounting them since they’re a lot different shaped than the regular styles of pickups?

That is a Very condensed version of the thread, there were 40 odd pages of input and development, some good, some not so good, before it got to that stage, it was very disappointing for it to disappear as it did, it was a great reference for anyone trying to make one.

I miss that thread!! The fighting that happened then drove me away from here for quite a long time, there was too much negativity. It's too bad we lost all the work and thought process that went into it all, because it was a lot of fun, until it wasn't, lol!

All this got me thinking about bass pickups.

I remember back in the 70's all bass guitars used a type of "tunnel pickup". And I've been obsessing about figuring out what they were called and how they worked?

Are you thinking about the Fender bass that had a cover over the strings and pickup?

It was just a piece of metal that cover the pickup and would allow the player to rest his hand.

There were some slide guitar pickups that had a magnet coil under the strings and one above the strings made by Supro. I don't know if they made any Bass pickups like that.

Yep, the Fender ones are the ones I was thinking about.

I'm a bit disappointed to learn that it was just a cover, I was expecting something more sophisticated. Maybe 2 horseshoe magnets with a coil in the base and the strings that go through the middle. Or a big huge coil with a magnet in the base... or something like that.

They can be made and I'm sure some exist somewhere.

I used the field coil of a Power hand drill on a build and ran the strings through it, it worked, but it wasn't really strong enough. It needs a transformer.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building BasicsCigar Box Guitar Parts Store

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Cases for CBG's

Started by Kevin Keating in Cool gear discussion - that's not cigar box related. Last reply by KOOL DOG HOOCH 5 hours ago. 5 Replies

r.e. testbed...

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by KOOL DOG HOOCH 7 hours ago. 2 Replies

new bridge

Started by James Pobog in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Paul Craig on Monday. 22 Replies

Make a Lo-Fi Telephone Microphone! EASY 5 Minute Project

Started by Shane Speal shanespeal.com in Feature Articles. Last reply by Shane Speal shanespeal.com on Monday. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

George Ross liked shane wagstaff's video
1 minute ago
Jerry Jordan commented on Miku's photo
Thumbnail

Miku 4 Amped

"Is that a compensated nut?   Very pretty.,.,!!"
8 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Miku 4 Amped

"And a LAN jack too.,.!! Ithink it's staring at me.,.,!! What do you think UJ.,.,?"
9 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Miku 4 Amped

"Rock'n artwork.,.,!!"
10 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Miku 4 Amped

"Miku, you never fail to amaze the masses., I cannot lie, I think i saw this on the dreaded FB.,…"
11 minutes ago
sid replied to sid's discussion fret scale measurement?
"Hi there thanks for the reply, no I don't have a template, I'll just use one of the free…"
19 minutes ago
Shane Speal shanespeal.com posted a discussion
19 minutes ago
Ernest Gusella commented on Glenn's video
Thumbnail

The Resurrected Sweetheart | An Intro to "The Ballad Book of John Jacob Niles"

"Beautiful song. John Jacob Niles was quite famous in the '60's when the whole folk thing…"
22 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Andries D. EKER's video
23 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked PauL's video
25 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to sid's discussion fret scale measurement?
"This might…"
31 minutes ago
Keith Rearick liked Glenn's video
32 minutes ago

Events

Music

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->