I have for some time now been building CBGs with a fret scale of 25.5 inches. I also laid out a template for fret spacing by matching it up to my acoustic Fender guitar. The old scale template came off a Samick electric. Same scale length but the spacing between frets is different from the Fender layout. So I went with the Fender layout. My question is how do I check or achieve perfect intonation and will it change due to acoustic qualities of different boxes. I attempted to mark notes as they changed on the neck(done with a brass rod and tuner) marked flats and whole note changes. This layout is really different

Views: 851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey thanks...

actually its diatonic, its dead simple to play..   no ugly notes, you just go for it.   there no scales or patterns or any such tedious nonsense to know cos its built into the instrument, it was designed as an educational tool and an instrument for the disabled..

a zero fret can make sliding a little trickier yes, but certainly not impossible, you just need to learn a lighter touch.  In my opinion a zero fret is the ticket to sonic nirvana, i havent done a neck without for more than 8 months

jumbo zero fret, fretless neck=tolerable slide, especially if you like to do some fingerstyle on your fretless instrument... if you need to never touch the fingerboard and only play the slide, then, build a tall nut....

Now I didn't say perfect intonation was impossible. With experience, that will come as you learn. It's just more than 1 or 2 variables.

Most of mine are dead on now. Worst case scenario is a few "cents" off ....... no one could ever hear that small a difference.

AFKAM

What Wes said.  Skootch the nut away from the bridge between 1/16 and 1/32", and leave all the other frets exactly where they belong, and that helps compensate for string stretch when playing at the nut.  That plus using a zero fret has made my more recent instruments much closer to the elusive "perfect".

Wes "Moanin' Mule" Yates said:

Imma with Matt on this one. Intonation is not hard to achieve yet you will never achieve perfect intonation. You might get close but will still be off. My B and G strings (I use DGBe strings) are always out a little. But if you think of it, no matter what you do, you will never perfectly achieve exact tonality by sheer nature of the strings, their mass, the gauge, the type, what note is their root... There is a great article that explains this all.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/intonation/intonation1.html

I especially like page 4 where they go into intonation at the nut. Diane (in Chicago) and I both have used this method. Werks Reel Well.

-WY

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray left a comment for J. D. Woods
" If you are interested in building your own pickups, I wrote a blog about how I make my…"
51 minutes ago
Gary O'slide posted a video
1 hour ago
Niall McCracken is now a member of Cigar Box Nation
4 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
5 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
15 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

There i was Standing at the ..... BCB - A. D. Eker 2024

"Thanks AGP# Glad you liked  my version ! appreciated !"
16 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

I Can Only Imagine: 2-String Chugger License Plate Cigar Box Guitar

"You are very observant Andries! Some of the Slingers are more consistent than others and I…"
17 hours ago
David L. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Song lyrics for Steve's new song
"Not sure how accurate the lyrics are (link to the lyrics site at the bottom) "Internet…"
17 hours ago
David L. liked David Hopkins's photo
17 hours ago
17 hours ago
17 hours ago
J. D. Woods posted a discussion

Song lyrics for Steve's new song

Hey Cigar Boxers,Just listened to Seasick Steve's new song, Internet Cowboys. Does anybody know…See More
18 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->