7 way strat mod. Three volumes one master tone. Where to go with output of SPDT switch?

Redoing the Rusty Rat Box. Going to drill some more holes in that body. The guitar is going to have two switches. One standard five way and one SPDT. Three volumes and one master tone. On the schematics there's one master volume and two tones. Standard strat wiring. The out from the SPDT switch goes to the master volume input lug. However I wont have a master volume as each pickup is connected to a volume first. Then to the five way. See schematic. Where would I go with the output of the SPDT?

Schematic explanation. To declutter no grounds are shown. The tone is a 1950's style wiring

The seven way wiring came from Breja ToneWorks video
Any ideas? 

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what is the SPDT switch doing? or more importantly what do you want it to do? is it a kill switch? a phase reversal switch?

just watched the video a couple of times. the output of the switch goes to the same place as the output of lug 4 so in the modded circuit you have made the switch goes to the output jack.

Thanks Timothy.That makes sense! 

And your right. I should explain what's happening here. With the normal five way switch your pickup selections are bridge, bridge + mid, mid, mid + neck and neck. With the SPDT or 'on on' switch in the upper on position you get bridge, bridge + mid, mid, all three pickups and neck + bridge. 

good luck. need a sound bite of the mod working..

Will do Timothy! I'll be able to wire up the box without that switch. Add it when it comes in. Should be in about a week. 

More changes. First thanks again Timothy. You helped me understand something I was overlooking. Now i know I can keep all the spaghetti on one side of the guitar. Which helps because I added to the spaghetti.

Changes made.

Removed jump between side A and side B of the five way switch.

The SPDT switch. Or switch between two on positions. In the first schematic I had the output of the pickup going to the output pole on the small switch. This would make the switch always hot. Changed that to one side hot one cold. So the output of the pickup would only make the switch hot when switched into that position. The output now goes to the input of the bridge when selected. Adding that pickup.

All volum pots are now wired for independent control. 

Tone control. Because the 1950's tone control is a bit brighter sounding I added a second SPDT switch. This one will select between two Cap values. 0.47 and 0.66. Two 0.33 caps wired in series will net me 0.66 and make an over all darker tone. 

Reason for rewiring the Rusty Rat Box.

Because I don't have a no load pot the wiring has always been a bit wonky. The neck and bridge pickup are always on at the same time. Yes I could buy a no load pot and wire it in. But it wouldn't be as fun. :)  And with the choice of cap values on the tone I can have a darker sound. May even make the bridge pickup usable. Because I've always hated the sound of a strat's bridge pickup. 

New wiring schematic 

Major mistake on that schematic on the tone pot. Sorry about that. This is what it should look like.

If you use a SPDT 3-way switch on/off/on wiring the caps from tone to a side of the switch and then middle switch lug to jack, you get .66 on one side - .47 on the other side - middle would be no tone circuit/volume only like a no load tone pot.

Switches came in today! But I'm going to hold off on this mod till after Christmas. Christmas is at my house so I have a lot of stuff to get done. Family and friends gotta come first.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->