had an unexpected week off so I thought I'd get it done before winter comes. still got one or 2 things left to do, but this is what I got done so far. just need to round off the edges and corners, spray the body in a lot of clear lacquer, mount the nut and jack plate and string it up.
I made the box, myself, the top is 3/4 inch ply the sides are some thick pieces of pine and the back lid is 1/2 inch ply, which has hinges and catches. I like to get into the bodies, makes for easier maintenance.
had some trouble with the broom handle, not sure what the wood is, but it was so hard neither the band saw or the jigsaw would cut it without burning or warping and I lost the wider 6 inches at the end, but made the best of it. I mounted the neck at an angle,which should give the strings a lot of clearance from the body, as suggested by Shane Speal.
I cut off a couple extra inches in order to get the scale length down. as it is floating bridge and fretless, the scale is adjustable; about 23.5 inches (like a Gibson Byrdland) at the shortest and 25.5 at the longest. this should work nicely with the 12-52 (with wound G) light jazz strings I got for it.
Thank you Taff, I was thinking Dust m Broom as an opener. I'm Open D or Open C once I got it strung up, might give you guys some Ry Cooder as well