The story of this uke - 1927 martin uke.
Noel Coward , (yes, the playwright, composer, director, actor and singer,etc..) actually returned a tennis ball with this thing . thus the repair job on the back . the owner did a fix job on it that looks like clear glue , or a generous amount of varnish , maybe saddle glue . the pics look worse than it actually is it is solid and encased .. besides a few hair line cracks that stem from the glue job. and does not effect the sound quality .. the owner played this at events in this condition up until his death about 30 years ago. Sounds great , this thing rings louder than any of my cbgs.

Now about the date .. this is actually a 1927 model . style “o” . I know the logo should be stamped in the back and not on the front ..(that usually means its 1930s .”)
But this was a special mail order model .(they used a front logo for the paper ad.) this explains the front logo , and the ebony nut and black keys with nickel plate pegs . (1927)

This uke comes with a letter from the owner’s son . Documenting the story .. here are some excerpts .

( “”My father bought the uke by mail order in 1927, for the princely sum of four pounds and ten shillings, which took him months to save. At the time, he was a member of a small combo calling themselves the "Palm Beach Boys", a name that they probably derived from the Raleigh 'Palm Beach', a popular bicycle of the day. They played at weddings, funerals, company socials, , etc., and at one stage even scored a gig at the London Palladium, the highlight of their short career. On the same bill were Django Reinhardt , Stefan Grappelli, and the Quintet of the Hot Club de France. Guess who got the standing ovation.

One occasion almost resulted in the demise of the Uke.
Noel Coward was staying at the Princess, hotel in Bermuda , as he often did.
(where My father managed to talk a guy called Billy Butlin into giving him a job managing)
There were a number of dining rooms in the hotel, one of them being situated adjacent to the croquet courts. It was a small 'breakfast room' where senior staff mostly ate, and Noel C. was invited to use it in order to have a little privacy early in the day, as he was public property in the evenings. He was standing next to the upright piano in the corner when a tennis ball bounced through the open window. The Uke was on top of the piano after the previous evening's revelries, and without hesitation, Coward grabbed it and batted the ball back through the window, much to the detriment of the instrument.””…)

(the buyer can read the rest of the story..)

Anyway ,- comes with its original case that has a broken leather handle , rusty hardware , one hinge is disconnected but still there , it still closes and opens with care . , no key for the lock ,, but is “unlocked “ ,

I am open to * reasonable* offers on her . message me if you are interested ;-)

Video  / more pics can be seen  here

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/1920-s-uke-for-sale

Views: 775

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you should probably define a starting point for a reasonable offer.
considering these go from 600.00   to 1000's  $  ,  and  i'm willing  to  give a deal   to  members here  since it only cost me a couple hundred  ..   they can take  their  ideas  from there .
what size is it? Baritone?  Can you make a quick video of it being played?
Soprano 21"total length 9 7/16" body length 6 3/8" length 13 5/8"scale .
it sounds really really good . i'll try sending you a sound bite later today when everyone's awake . ;-)

since i can't play one of these things to save  my life  , and the  fact my computer mic sucks,

here's  is a small sample  just showing the scales and frets are good  etc..  and  it rings  pretty good too.

it really has a nice sound , this recording  with  the computer mic  probably does not give it justice .

but  i cant jack in direct  like i do my cbgs .

Attachments:
let me know  if  you click the attcahment on the  bottom and id does noy work.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Bernie Edwards commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"The cherries make it really even more special!  Great project with a unique and special result!"
15 minutes ago
Crazed Fandango replied to Rich Butters's discussion UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's
1 hour ago
Crazed Fandango commented on David Woodman 's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0749

"Amazing!"
1 hour ago
Crazed Fandango liked David Woodman 's photo
1 hour ago
Crazed Fandango posted a photo
1 hour ago
Rich Butters posted a discussion

UK - Best Place to Buy Cigar Box's

Hi all, I am living in Thailand and building CBGs for about a year.  I will be returning to the UK…See More
3 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Im assuming the wood is cherry?"
6 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"Wow wee!!! That is gorgeous!! "
6 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Up the Hill A D Eker 2024

"thanks kale !yup that shaker sure keeps the groove going , and this LACE is my fender in the CBG…"
9 hours ago
AGP # liked Ghostbuttons's photo
10 hours ago
AGP # commented on Randy S. Bretz's photo
Thumbnail

Off the Bench !

"A while in the making, But!, well worth the wait, another outstanding one off Randy Bretz Build,…"
10 hours ago
AGP # liked Randy S. Bretz's photo
11 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->